Choosing A Skilled Nursing Home Facility￼
Conducting thorough research on a potential skilled nursing facility or a post-acute rehab hospital is essential to ensuring the best possible treatment during recovery. Here are some important considerations to help you make an informed decision.
First and Foremost
Before selecting a facility, consider taking the following steps:
- Get recommendations from friends, family and coworkers
- Visit the facilities you are considering and talk with the Director or other staff members about the services, policies, history and staff credentials
- Ask questions to determine if the facility meets your needs
- Ask your adult children or trusted family member to accompany you on your visit and to help with the final decision
Below are a few questions to ask before selecting a facility:
- Is it conveniently located?
- Is it licensed or certified by an appropriate state agency? Is it certified by Medicare?
- Does it have a written description of its services and fees? Will it provide financial assistance if you need it?
- How is the confidentiality of private health information maintained?
- Does it have an emergency patient care plan in case of a power failure or natural disaster?
- Are physicians and on-site staff properly certified by appropriate medical boards?
The following are a list of questions to ask if you’re going to be an inpatient:
- What is the policy regarding visitors? Are family members allowed to visit anytime?
- If anesthesia or sedation is necessary, are those who administer it certified or trained?
- Will the physician provide you with information related to your care?
- What is the clinic’s success record for rehabilitation?
- What is the physician’s specific training?
- Will a discharge plan be developed if you wish to leave
Questions to Ask Yourself
Before making a decision, ask yourself the following questions:
- Is the facility clean? Visit and take a look around.
- Does the waiting room look comfortable?
- Do you have privacy in your room?
Choosing the right post-acute care center is a tough decision. For more information on finding the best post-acute recovery facility for you or a loved one, contact Premier Lab Solutions today. Our team of laboratory experts are ready to assist.